Pages

Tuesday 21 May 2013

Who You Are at 2 and 10 Months


You run everywhere, and though you fall down a lot, you rarely get hurt. You are curious and smart. You remember everything we tell you and everything you read in a book or see on TV. You often talk to yourself and make up games about “turning into” your favourite things. At the moment your favorite things are Octonauts (a TV show), jellyfish, the big bad wolf, monsters, cars, race cars, trucks, tow trucks, 10-wheelers, your bike, and corn on the cob.

You really like to have stories read to you and you listen intently. All your teachers say you are best behaved during story time. You have a best friend at daycare and you ask about him when we are at home. Your favourite meal is breakfast and you call almost all meals “lunch.” You are a good eater and, while sometimes you eat nothing at a meal, you are not too picky. Your favourite things are pineapple, watermelon, yogurt, soup (with noodles), Cheerios, and Toad in a Hole (a fried egg in toast).

You like to help in the kitchen and will often stand at the sink “washing dishes” for as long as I will let you. Our sink has a sprayer that you often use and end up soaking the whole counter and the cupboards, but usually I just let you do it, because it makes you so happy.

You understand jokes and often say, “Oh, Daddy,” or, “Oh, Mommy,” if we do something funny. You make up songs and play an old mandolin of Daddy’s. Yesterday the words to your song were, “Sister, I don’t want you to be naked.” You always make a rock ‘n’ roll face when you strum and Daddy isn’t sure what to make of it all. Music is clearly in your blood.

Your dislikes are anything surrounding your diapers, getting dressed, or putting on jackets. However, you recently learned how to put on your own shoes, which makes you very proud.

You love to be told you are “correct” or “smart” and your eyes light up when I say it.

You, like most kids your age, are defiant. You sometimes play rough with your sister (who is 6 months old) but always are sorry when she gets hurt. She, however, is very tough. You often tell me you will do something “in three minutes.”

People often stop to look at you and say “Hi,” which you hate, and you often turn away. Sometimes you say you feel shy, but I really think you just like things on your own terms.

Your smile is absolutely brilliant and your grin is very mischievous.

You have a “stripe guy,” which you love to bits and want to take everywhere. I sometimes wake up in a cold sweat that we will lose stripe guy and you will never forgive me. I often force you to leave him at home when we go out, which you reluctantly do because you also fear losing him.

You beg for “one more story” at bedtime and I only let you win 100% of the time. I love you with every fibre of my being and when I look in your eyes I see years of happiness ahead of me as I watch you become a man. You are pure joy.

-Tightrope Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment