Pages

Friday 1 June 2012

I Don’t Know How She Does It



Last night, after Lo was in bed and I had tidied up, put a load of laundry in,
poured myself a glass of wine, and wrapped myself up in a very cozy housecoat,
I rented a movie. I decided to rent I Don’t Know How She Does It  with SJP. I was in the mood to watch Carrie all growed up!

As I lay there with eyes barely open, I found myself getting very irritated as it became
VERY clear how Carrie does it. She does it with


  • a nanny
  • money
  • an assistant
  • available grandparents
  • a nice house
  • great schools
  • a car
  • a good job
  • a supportive husband
  • a best friend who has it worse off (always good for the ego)
  • and of course…beautiful clothes and shoes (so predictable).


The list could go on…

This movie was so self-indulgent to the point of insulting. I am sure the purpose of the
movie was to show the plight of the mother in modern society — a movie for all of us
tired moms, so we can put our feet up and say “Yeah, how do we do this?” But all this
movie really accomplishes is to show that even rich, married, educated, supported
women struggle with being a mother. Duh!!

I just wish for once there was actually a movie about how the everyday woman struggles
with being a mother. A movie that portrays strength instead of weakness, a movie
that portrays the journey of discovery instead of helplessness, a movie that shows the
struggles while sharing the message that it is okay to struggle…instead of always trying
to keep it together.

Okay, okay...in the end, because Carrie is so educated, smart, resourceful, and
practical, she does break the glass ceiling, but does it really take a nanny, an assistant,
grandparents, a best friend, a boss who is in love with you, and a partner to do that?

If so, I am screwed.

-Gray Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment