Pages

Monday 20 August 2012

Co Sleeping

to see more, visit How to Be a Dad


Before Lo came I was totally against the practice of co sleeping. I had heard
of a number of horrible stories about co sleeping and the child being harmed.
The horror stories stuck in my mind and I swore up and down that I would not co
sleep.

Well, that changed!!

The first time I co slept with Lo was when he was 5 days old. The lactation
consultant was encouraging me to try feed Lo lying down. I would keep saying
that I do not need to practice that as I am not co sleeping. The consultant
encouraged me to rethink and was able to provide a number of facts and myth
busters about co sleeping. Dr Sears summarized the different thoughts about
co sleeping on his website.

Day 5 at the hospital I was exhausted – I had not slept and we were going home.
The nurse had suggested that Lo sleep with me in the bed – I did not resist.
It was the first time the two of slept for more than an hour or 2 in five days.
Heaven.

Once I was home, I was still very weary of co sleeping. I went a good couple of
months with Lo in a basinet. I would feed him and put him gingerly back into the
basinet. This routine became more and more stressful as that ginger lift into the
basinet was rarely successful. Lo would not settle. One night … well morning
actually, I gave up and co slept. And once again we both slept for at least 6
hours.

We then we became a co sleeping unit.

The next challenge – weaning the co sleeping.


-Gray Mama



[images: howtobeadad.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment